Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Open Letter to Musalia Mudavadi

Sir, I have been taught to refer people by the titles they deserve. But today I am a little confused. I want to give you the proper salutation but I do not know the road to take! Would you like me to go by Hon. Musalia or just by Deputy Prime Minister Musalia? But since you have resigned as an ODM member, this leaves me wondering where you really belong and what is best for you without compromising natural justice! You see, you ceased being honorable the moment you announced loyalty to another party in full glare of media, local and international. Moreover, you ceased being Deputy Prime Minister the moment you resigned deputy party leader of ODM. You may continue holding this seat till kingdom come but you will just be holding the seat in denial!

I hiccup at the thought that you want to run for office to be the next president of the Republic of Kenya. I do not want to belittle your capacity but William Shakespeare makes me a little pessimistic. He wrote that at times dreams can be children of an idle mind begot of nothing but vain fantasy. Yes it is a mere fantasy for you to think that within a time frame of nine months, between now and March 2013, you can pull a fete unprecedented in the entire democratic world of politics. Presidency is not just a small fete.I believe it requires organization and time. Are you running for the seat because you think you are the right candidate and can win or are you running because you think you are just any candidate but with a chance of winning?

Sir, I did not want to write about Obama but you forced me to. You have talked about him so many times and compared yourself to the USA president. This is a myth and a truth that you want to shade because you will never and can never be Barrack Obama. At best you will always be Musalia Mudavadi. However, for the sake of the comparisons you have been drawing, allow me to note a few facts that maybe lost to you.

Please sir; let us take a mental flight to January 2005. Barrack Obama is the newly elected senator from Illinois. He arrives at the senate as a celebrity courtesy of the speech he had delivered at the Democratic National Convention 5 months earlier in Boston, pitching for the election of John Kerry. But the Democratic Party had failed to capture the senate and the Congress in the elections that also saw George Bush get another term. So Obama was by all means the new kid on the block. He had instantly become the superstar of the party. Veteran politicians started coalescing around him. They knew there was a spark in the guy. As Tom Daschle the then DP House leader prepared to leave the party, he assigned his assistant Pete Rouss the mandate of nurturing Obama. This is where it all began for Obama. A three year plan was coined. The rest, as you and I and all people of the world know, is history. However, the lesson learnt is that a leader must excite his base. He must be able to build a country block by block, calloused hand by calloused hand and must never use short term political goals as a wedge to divide a party like you did in ODM.

I am yet to see your organizational skills. In fact I do not know what you are all about. Needless to say, I cannot say what UDF, your new vehicle stands for, and if you are in it for the long haul or just for this season of elections. In a way I cannot blame you if you decide to jump ship to another party after sometime. I know this is the way Kenya politics are all about-the “I”. You cried wolf that there was no internal democracy in ODM. You started moaning about the mode of holding the primaries in ODM but that did not score the much you wanted. You then sought another excuse ‘a clause in the party constitution that ostensibly nominates the party leader as the presidential candidate.’

I need sobriety to understand why it has always to be the “I” in politics as opposed to “Others”. I will tell you a short story here sir, with your indulgence. The founder of the Salvation Army, William Booth was at one point supposed to be in a conference room addressing delegates. However, he got sick and was admitted to hospital. It was a point in his life where he knew, alongside his handlers that time was up for him on this earth. So his aides took a paper and a pen for him to write a small speech for the delegates he would not manage to address. Within a few minutes, he was through. He handed the paper back to the aides and to their surprise, he only wrote “Others”. His message was simple-always consider others first.

I have heard you talk about democracy. But how come you seem to be the presidential candidate in UDF? How did you get nominated? What was the process? Where did delegates meet? Are there minutes of the meeting that elected you?

Back to ODM. Since you were the deputy party leader, I am sure you were aware of the constitution and all it stood for. It therefore means you were in line to replace the leader, you know, in case of anything. So do not tell us that there was no democracy in ODM. You were part of the process. You gained your minute of fame by being deputy party leader!

Finally sir, I would want to know if you are willing to declare your wealth and if you have already received a certificate of compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority. I would have requested that you also submit your tax returns for the last five years but then I remembered that just like other parliamentarians, you do not pay taxes. I should have known that you are part of the establishment that Kenya is tired of.

Good luck.

http://mukurima.blogspot.com/2012/05/open-letter-to-musalia-mudavadi.html

Popular Posts